::[ kampungkai ]::

Friday, February 17

My RM50 phone

"Are u going tomorrow?"
"How much cash are u bringing?"
"Is your car full? can I hop in?"
"I wonder what are they selling."

International KASTAM Day. That was what all the hoo-haa was about. Every single fella in hostel was excited bout this particular day, because there's a KASTAM Sale. What's a KASTAM sale? It's where our Malaysian Kastam sells off smuggled stuff confiscated by them at a very very low price, haha I bet u wish that u could join me!

1st thing that came to my mind when i heard bout this Sale was 'Do they sell handphones?'. I have to admit that i was all excited bout it and was already drooling of me owning a Nokia N90, Nokia N70, Motorola RAZR v3/v3i, or a Samsung D600! How much? All for the maximum price of RM50! Lovely! Unbelievable!

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Woke up at 6:00am on a Monday morning, jump out from bed upon feeling the vibration from my hp alarm, ran to the bathroom to have a steamy hot bath and got dressed. My mum & dad saw me and said 'wah, why did u wake up so early?' LoL! they were shocked to see me awake at 6 in the morning. I guess they saw the blue moon? :P

Putrajaya, that's where the Malaysian KASTAM's HQ is. Very big building, easily noticed. It's right in front of u as u drive over that beautifully designed bridge. Btw, i heard lots of ppl saying that the view from the aeroplane of Putrajaya is nice, is it true?

There was already a crowd of 1000 people when i arrived at 7:30am. Yea, it was crazy. Obviously, there were lots of young people there for the same reason that i was there - to get the RM50 handphone. Without hesitation, me and my 'full-semangat' buddies joined the crowd and squeezed our way through to get in line. Though it was still early in the morning, and the sun was obscured by the fluffy clouds, but beads of sweat was forming on my face! Cos the heat generated by 1000 people = afternoon sun.

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

See the crowd in the picture? The whole place was chaotic. We were all wondering, how come there's so many people attending this Kastam Sale? Don't they need to work? Don't they have classes to attend? (Fortunately i have my Monday free) Or most probably they ask for half day work, and students ponteng classes for the sake of RM50 hp? Truly Malaysians.

8:00am. Some guy stood on a ladder right in front of the crowd with a loud speaker and yelled "There's only 1,300 units of hp on sale, and it will only start at 2pm!" right after he said that, i felt as though i was in a riot crowd. Almost everyone was screaming away, condemning the fella who said that. "Kastam bodoh! Oi, buka kedai la! Boooooooo! *(&@#(*@&^#&$@ many many vulgar words came out from the mouth of Malaysians. As for me, i was busy protecting my white shoes from being stepped on, and also having both my arms in front of my chest protecting myself from being squashed to death. Truly Malaysians.

Having 6 long hours to wait till 2pm, me and my friends who have better brains decided to abandone the crowd after 6 minutes and head for breakfast 1st. Thinking that we have had our breakfast which gives us full of energy to go through the crowd again, and all the others would somehow feel hungry and tired, thus 1 by 1 leaving the crowd, we were wrong! by 10am when we arrived at the same spot, the crowd has multiplied by 3 fold. There was at least 3000-4000 ppl. (the papers reported 10,000ppl the next day)

4000 ppl: 1300 handphones. Something is wrong with the ratio. Out of 3 ppl, only 1 will get to buy it. Knowing this will happen, our KASTAM management came out with a smart idea. Lucky draw! so the crowd has to pull out an envelope from the box and see what the paper inside the envelope writes. Pray hard! if it writes 'Nokia N90 - RM50' Then, it is your lucky day.

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket
Beras 10kg - RM5
Gula 1.5kg - RM1
Kain Batik - RM5
Basikal - RM50
Handphone - RM50

Well, things didn't turn out as expected. There were no N90, no N70, no D600, no W800i. Basically, there was nothing above the price range of RM400. I pulled my paper out and it wrote 'Nokia 1600 - RM50'. Kinda dissapointed, i asked my other friends whether they got anything good. To my surprise, they had things worst than me!

These were what they(7 friends) had:
1. Nokia 3310 - RM50
2. Nokia 3310 - RM50
3. Nokia 3310(Tanpa Bateri) - RM20
4. Sony Ericsson T630 - RM50
5. Terima Kasih kerana sudi menghadiri Hari Kastam Antarabangsa. (LoL!)
6. -
7. -

Oh yea, while queueing up to get the 1300 envelopes given out, the crowd went crazy. Pushing here and there, lots of people fell down. While being pushed and pulled in the crowd, i saw a row wood-colored batons in front. I wondered what it was. Suddenly, i started to hear yelling of order from the front. Few seconds later, i saw policemen with red crash helmets on, holding a baton on the right hand, and a see-through shield on the left hand! OMG, it was the Federal Reserved Unit(FRU)!!!

I really felt as though i was in a riot, no kidding! Imagine how chaotic the scene was till the extend of deploying the FRU to control the crowd. These FRU started ordering the crowd to make lines. Giving no chance to those not in line, the FRU pulled them with their mighty arms like nobody's business. it didn't matter to the FRUs whether u r a male or female, they pulled the shirt as though it was going to tear any second. I was traumatised.

"Mana barisan kau, KELUAR!"
"Masuk dalam barisan, CEPAT!"

The FRUs threatened those who didn't obey them with their baton. Everyone was shocked and the crowd obediently lined up. However, 5 mins later, it went back to chaos. Suddenly, a well-build FRU man came up 2metres away from me. He zipped open the pouch on his lower back and pulled out a sivery-colored aluminum can. There was a pin at the top of the can. I was very very traumatised.

With his forefinger engaging the ring which was connected to the pin, he threatened by saying "Nak saya tarik tak? Ha? Buat barisan sekarang!". I dunno what the hell was that but i guess it's a tear gas thingy which makes u run like an ant's house being destroyed. Friends of mine were joking bout it, thinking of the possibility of being a FlashBang! (for those who play counterstrike, u know what it is)

Heck, all the pushing, yelling, threatening, and trauma just for a low-end RM50 handphone. Not worth it. i left the crowd at 12noon, and went home to rest. 4.5 hours later i went back to retrieve my Nokia 1600. They said "oh, stok habis la.. hanya tinggal Nokia 2300"

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

So, there goes my color screen new model from Nokia (which i found out it was NEW after i went home), it cost bout RM350 in the market. Thus, now owning a Nokia 2300 without color screen. *sob sob Anyhow, i gave it to my mum as a Valentine Gift. hehehhe! That's the good point of not having a gf. My mum = my gf!

If there's any Kastam Sale going on next year. I will not be there. It's pure stupidity to go for such a sale. yea, i'm pretty stupid for going for Kastam Sale 2006 haha! *Smack! (smack me please?)

Malaysians, anything cheap will attract them. If there's free food and drinks, the crowd would be bigger. Malaysians, Truly Malaysia. Don't u think so?

28 Comments:

  • Aduahi, I rather pay full price to buy stuffs in comfort.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 17, 2006 7:37 PM  

  • though it was a horrible experience.... at least it is an experience u won't forget... hhaha! be happy with that! :)

    By Blogger BbHippo, at February 17, 2006 7:58 PM  

  • hey dude,,, dropping by to say hi!!
    ~kampungduck~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 17, 2006 8:41 PM  

  • hey dude,,, dropping by to say hi!!
    ~kampungduck~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 17, 2006 8:41 PM  

  • *Smack!

    By Blogger applesamanthalee, at February 17, 2006 10:01 PM  

  • haha... i bet it was a good experience... hehe... What the hell with those MALAYSIANS?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 17, 2006 10:04 PM  

  • geez... this is really something. I thought I've missed the 'sale', guess I have not.

    Hey... why wore white shoes to crowded places?? :p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 17, 2006 10:20 PM  

  • yeah.. i know how u feel to wear a pair of white shoe in a crowded place.

    why are u covering ur chest with ur hands? u r afraid ppl might molest u? u think ppl are so hamsap to touch ur asset?

    i thought that building is a mosque... that design abit-the-unsuitable for it to be kastam's hq

    btw, whats up with u these days?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 18, 2006 12:18 AM  

  • I always have phobia with this kind of crowd.. being sandwiched could be my worse nightmare, I won't go there even if you pay me $100 lol..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 18, 2006 12:23 AM  

  • wah...wake up so early, really is kampungkai :p ...u really semangat la to go "sardine" with all those ppl there...

    By Blogger snowybabie, at February 18, 2006 1:35 AM  

  • wah!!! beh tahan... really people mountain people sea wor...

    cheh~~~ no latest handphone model ke~~~ guess u must be very dissapointed lor???

    By Blogger Blur^Sand, at February 18, 2006 11:24 AM  

  • I hate to go to places with huge crowds of people.
    Rather pay things at higher price than squeezing myself through the crowds ;)
    *phobia*
    That's why I never go to places which offer free food or free stuffs or super cheap sales cos of the "crowd" :)

    By Blogger Chen, at February 18, 2006 11:45 AM  

  • Jason: yea, it will not happen again.

    siah: definitely won't forget. It was kinda like rugby where opponents jump on u and squash u!

    kampungduck: hey duckie hahaha! my opposite friend! happy belated cny! :P and... HI!

    applesamanthalee: .............. !!!

    Mr. C: yea, what the hell with Malaysians! stupid betul.... ok, excluding me alright.

    layman: There was no such sale, u were dreaming, it did not happen, go back to sleep haha! white color is nice, didnt expect the crazy crowd.

    manda: mosque? no la.. it's the brown color building, along that super huge road where national day celebration was held, remember? I'm busy with studies recently, i guess u r too. Your darling amy looking for u high and low, msg her!

    Jee: how bout RM100.50? LoL... I felt thinner after all the squashing!

    snowybabie: the morning bird catches the worm! haha! but ended up catching sardines, sigh...

    Blur^Sand: totally dissapointed. The whole sale SUX, please dun follow my foot step next year.

    Chen: I'm still trying to find out which state u from, so much to read in ABOUT ME! Yea, i never like going to crowded places too, everyone will be like baboons snatching food and stuff. Regretted going for this sale.

    By Blogger Kampungkai, at February 18, 2006 2:09 PM  

  • save u the trouble :D
    I'm from Sarawak but currently working (and residing) in Pearl of the Orient, the Heaven of Food or what local used to call as Penang :D

    By Blogger Chen, at February 18, 2006 2:56 PM  

  • Oh my God, look at the crowd. I'm with Jason on this one, I'd rather pay full price instead of dealing with the madness of Malaysians.

    By Blogger Olive Poppy, at February 18, 2006 11:33 PM  

  • Why cover your chest? No one's gonna twist your nippies y'know...

    I dread going to crowded places. The last place i went to was on independence day eve at dataran merdeka. Phobia! Afraid I might get pickpocketed. But I guess it was all worth it for you. Look at it this way, all that crazy thing you do turned out to be for mum, the least you could do for her valentine's. That's mighty sweet!

    Oh, I just remembered the second crowded place I went last year, in September. The perfume warehouse sale by Luxasia, at kelana jaya, next to MAS training academy. Hey, that's your place. Were you there? Boy, that was really crazy. But totally worth it. Now I have more than a dozen perfumes.

    By Blogger gus, at February 18, 2006 11:40 PM  

  • thought of dropping a msg here, since u did on my tiny blog.

    enjoy reading ur post actually, is descriptive and funny...and so "true"...

    will drop my more often!...keep it up..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 19, 2006 12:59 AM  

  • kampungkai.. it's still a no for RM100.50, I meant US$100 also I won't go :p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 19, 2006 1:04 AM  

  • wow.. sounds like another roits over cartoons, terrorist ..etc..

    Gee, I normally, look at the size of the crowd from my car.. and as per your pics.. I will immediately turn away and go for my morning roti prata instead..

    hmmm.. who keep the moeny from the sales of such junks anyway?

    By Blogger Robin CHAN, at February 19, 2006 10:04 AM  

  • *smacks chris*

    *grins* but guess u'd never know if u didn't go :)
    was nice that u've gotten ur mom a phone though.

    it reminds me of my physiology class back a few days---everyone was fighting their ways to sign 7 attendance sheets.
    and in the end, they tore the few sections apart -___-"

    and when going up a bus in upm
    -___-" it's even worse. the girls normally, will be pushing so hard from the back.
    (i dunno it's like the shit trying to push its way through the rectum---i can think of no better analogy than this)
    *sighs*
    that's so tiring sometimes, having to push my way through.

    By Blogger Iced Skeleton, at February 19, 2006 4:40 PM  

  • Wah.. they should call it Robin Hood Sale (Steal from the rich, sell to the kiasus), not KASTAM sale. Wonder if they can find any curi goods from the luggages they selongar at KLIA.

    By Blogger Gina, at February 19, 2006 10:33 PM  

  • Lucky you so tai chek kong or else, habis la. But hor, SE 630 for only RM50? Very good wor, I bought mine for RM750 wor, long time liao.

    By Blogger 5xmom.com, at February 20, 2006 2:19 AM  

  • wah! you actually went ah?
    I was laughing all the way when I read the report on newspaper!

    By Blogger Egghead, at February 20, 2006 10:18 AM  

  • Ahaha... Malaysians = Freeloaders

    The good models all I think the kastam people ownself take already lor - They can either use, give it to their family members, or even sell and earn profit for themselves. The ones they put out for sale to public (for rm50) is just to raise a lil bit of money to masuk their 'tabung kastam' oni kut (cover administrative costs.. petrol, etc..hehe).

    By Blogger narrowband, at February 20, 2006 12:44 PM  

  • wa lao....si beh crowded leh!!!!hahaha....erm...50 for a new phone,okla....

    if for me...1st time i'll go...but definitely no next time...hehe...

    By Blogger py, at February 20, 2006 1:18 PM  

  • hahahahahahaha...malaysians, truly malaysians...what can i say more.
    oh ya, next time bring me lar...:P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 23, 2006 2:36 PM  

  • eh dont mail the stuff yet need some more help?:$ amyxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 23, 2006 6:06 PM  

  • aku mahu nokia 3310 + bateri..mahu dua nokia 3310,berapa kau gila kpd saya?contact ku 0143591783

    By Blogger ☠†Sot Zai Gor.Gor†☠, at December 09, 2012 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home